Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Baby bedding costs WHAT?

Wednesday, April 4, 2012
As the months are winding down and we are getting closer and closer to our little girls arrival I'm starting to realize we have NOTHING ready. I know we have over 3 months but my nesting instinct is kicking in high gear and I want everything ready NOW! We are slowly purchasing little things but I'm starting to get anxiety over the fact that we don't have any necessary items.

I've been thinking about the nursery a lot lately and trying to decide what I want to do with it. I'm really not a fan of the girly girl colors, I don't know why but an all pink room makes me VERY uncomfortable. Plus, our dressers and clothes have to stay in the nursery as well because whoever designed the homes in Cleveland decided that people can live in tiny rooms that barely fit a queen bed. So lance has to be able to go into the room without gagging over all the pink.

I narrowed down my colors. I want to do a Pink/Green/Brown room. The room will be mostly brown and green with pink accents. That way its more neutral with a little splash of "girlyness". So the searching began, I searched, and searched, and searched. I must be really picky because I wasn't finding anything I could even compromise with.  After days of searching I finally found a couple bedding sets that I absolutely LOVED. They were perfect, not to girly, just enough pink to stand out but not make me gag. Everything was great until I looked at the price tag...$250 dollars!! WHAT!? You have got to be kidding me! It was a 4 piece set for that insane amount. Lance and I got a 10 piece queen bedding set  for our room that is gorgeous for under $100. There was no way we were going to get it. Ok, I'll confess I was still going to get it but Lance talked some sense into me and made me realize that if we get it I won't be getting as many clothes for her. Not wanting a naked baby, I agreed.

So the searching began again, and I found NOTHING.

Luckily I've been on a craft kick so I made the decision to make her bedding.  I decided to make her a quilt that will mimic the ones that I loved for a fraction of the cost.  I really don't know how its going to go, I'm really quite nervous.

Lance and I went to Joann's Fabrics and picked out the colors. After 2 hours of cutting 7x7 squares I'm almost ready to start sewing tomorrow. I sure hope it turns out good, I don't really know how to sew that well. The last sewing class I took was in 8 grade where I became a pro at sewing a pillow in the shape of a foot. Seeing how that isn't going to help me in slightest I hope I remember the crash course Lance's mom gave me before we moved out here.
The soon to be front of the quilt-I still need to work the pattern a bit. And I still may add another brown color in there...too many decisions!  
Tomorrow will be spent cutting out more 7x7 squares for the back and somehow learning to quilt while quilting. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! That fabric is super cute!
    What I learned from Ryker- all the cute stuff is, well cute...but not necessary. Very rarely do others see his bed or room.
    I removed everything early on because bumper pads are a hazard and he was swaddled and didn't need a big blanket ever (plus, have you ever fully "made" a crib? It SUCKS!). I think a crib skirt is a must though because you can store so much under there!
    Not sure what Hunter will use...I sold it all just barely. Oh well, clothed babies sleeping in your arms are cuter than when they are laying in a crib!
    We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash! We miss you guys to! I can't wait to come home at Christmas and meet your new little addition! :)

      Delete
  2. Love the quilt. It will be super cute. I haven't even touched Bennett's room and he's two weeks old. I was very unprepared, in fact I packed my bag for the hospital while in labor. You're way ahead of me and I'm sure everything will turn out great! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea you were even expecting! Congrats! That's so exciting! I love his name :) Do you have a blog? We'd love to keep updated with you guys!

      Delete

Life Through Brown's Eyes © 2014